Saturday, January 25, 2014

Memorial: For Justin "JewWario" Carmical


Okay...so, tonight I discovered that an inspiration to me in the realm of video games passed on Thursday, January 23, 2014.  It's been a tragedy to everyone because it was so unexpected and so shocking.
We miss you Justin.
Justin "JewWario" Carmical was a proponent of video games of all kinds, but especially imports.  He didn't believe that language should be a barrier to people enjoying good video games.  Now, I never got to meet Justin personally, but he inspired me in a number of ways.  Other people have, or are at this moment, holding memorials for him.  I don't have a wide audience and only a few people, probably just those I know, check out my blog.  But I wanted to give my own thoughts, share my own memories, and try to honor him in my own way.
JewWario was my introduction to importing.

JewWario was someone I discovered through That Guy With the Glasses.  He was a member of their team for a long time before parting ways with the group and appeared in numerous crossovers.  He was featured in their big movies, Kickassia, Suburban Knights, and To Boldly Flee.  JewWario was always very sporadic in these videos, being happy, funny, and entirely unpredictable, but above all else, someone you just loved to watch.  And that's why I looked into his other stuff.  Because I did enjoy watching him.
This was how I first saw JewWario.  He wasn't one of the lead actors...just the guy in the back.  But he was so fun, so earnest, so innocent and yet so passionate...
I've never been a big fan of the import scene.  I knew of it, I knew that Japan had plenty of games that never reached America, but JewWario was the person who stood up to the internet and said You Can Play This.  And that became his flagship series.  YCPT.  He would talk about games that featured no English translations and yet were still fun and enjoyable.  I frequently watched these videos just for JewWario, because he was such a quiet, but earnest man.  His passion was in his love for the games and he shared that with everyone, even if, at first, his skills were limited.  That's what really struck you about his videos...the passion.  He wanted everyone to be able to enjoy these great games.

For me, that has kind of become his legacy.  JewWario was always enjoyable to watch, however a part of me always wanted to play the games he'd show off.  Osu Tatakae, Ouendan in particular was very interesting, as was the One Piece fighter he presented.  Eventually, I started to think, genuinely, that I COULD play Japanese games, even if my skills in Japanese were less than perfect.  So, when I went to Japan, I made a point to, before I left, buy some Japanese games.  I wish I'd bought more, because I COULD and DID play these games and I loved them.  I got One Piece Gigant Battle 2, Culdcept DS, and the two Osu Tatakae Ouendan games.  Not a lick of English in these titles, but I could still play them, hell, I dropped at least 30 hours into One Piece.  I struggled with Culdcept, but I got through it.  And at the end of the day, it made me wish for more.  I have at least 4 or 5 current games that are Japanese that I want to play, which I will play, because I know I can play them.
This was released while I was actually in Japan and I bought it, day one, because JewWario convinced me that, yes, I could play it.  And I did.
I'd heard about this game through Elite Beat Agents, but my love for Japanese culture, along with that little extra push, helped me to get, play, and beat this game.
I always loved Culdcept, but never got to play the original, so when I saw it on a shelf in a Japanese Midori, I convinced myself that I'd get through it...that I COULD get through it.  And I could and did.
If anything, I wish I could have seen more of JewWario's work, because I know he streamed as well as putting out videos.  I wish I could have met the man in person and told him that he helped broaden my horizons in the world of gaming.  But I can't now.  So, even if it's just this one post, a part of me wants to keep his legend alive, because he changed a lot of people, myself included.  No one has had a bad word to say about JewWario who knew him.  And he always made sure to let other know that he cared for them.  His loss diminishes us all...

I have to encourage everyone to keep Justin's wife Jen in your thoughts and prayers, not just now, but always, because this kind of thing...the hurt never goes away.  Not entirely.  And offer her any help you can give, because this kind of thing isn't just emotional damage...

I want everyone to remember the man and his legacy.  Below are the links to his website and his videos, as well as a charity drive for his family and friends.  I encourage everyone to give it a look.

You Can Play This
Blip
Youtube
Charity Drive

Justin Carmical.  You were an inspiration, not just to me but to millions on the internet.  The man has passed, but the legend will live on, so long as we keep it alive.  Remember the man who loved games and carried a passion, a humor, and an earnest respect for all games and all people. 

May we one day meet, you beautiful soul, when our own times have come.

No comments:

Post a Comment