Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Fanservice: The Death of Storytelling

*UPDATE*
Youtube is a piece of shit that content ID me AUTOMATICALLY.  Friggin robot.  Last time I ever try and use fucking video of any AAA games, fuck you Sega, or anime, fuck you TV Tokyo, so I blacked all that shit out.  Still got some good still images and some good commentary, but yeah, this broken ass video is all that's left after Youtube bowed its head to the corporate gods of greed.

As a proponent of good stories in games, movies, anime, etc. I happen to get especially agitated when a series leaves plot holes or other issues.  However, more than even that, I get teeth grindingly frustrated when they mess up the characters.  Nothing does this more, in my opinion, than fan service.  How can we make our bad ass female warrior seem far less capable and intimidating?  Ass and boob shots.  It's nearly killed my love for the manga Fairy Tail, but it's not all as bad as that.  Sexual characters are fine.  Screwing up characters who aren't portrayed as sexual, however, is not.

So, let us examine this phenomenon, in several different anime, manga, and games.


No comments:

Post a Comment